Winter hiking for beginners: If you really want to enjoy camping, adding hiking to your to-do list is one of the things for an enjoyable outdoor experience. One of the ways to keep yourself warm during winter camp is to go hiking. Hiking is totally different from wandering, it is a recreational exercise where you walk around in the countryside for pleasure.
Due to the harsh nature of winter, hiking during winter might pose as a hindrance but it should not be a reason you would not enjoy that which you have always wanted to. This article contains tips on stuff you need to have a successful hiking experience.
Starter pack for winter hiking for Beginners
You should not just get up from your bed and move out for hiking, empty-handed. During winter hiking for beginners, there are several things you need to take along with you to enjoy a fun hiking experience. Here is a list of some of the stuff you’d need for your adventure.
- A compass: this is essential stuff. You would be surprised that a compass might come in handy, while you go hiking. It is usually difficult to find your trail during winter, you might get lost. In order to avoid missing your way back, a compass should be on your list of things to take winter hiking for beginners.
- Footwears: there would be a lot of snow and you would need to insulate your feet to avoid hypothermia.
- Jacket: you need to keep your body warm. the jacket will protect you from the effect of the harsh weather.
- Water-filled bottles: you would be walking for several hours, and thirst is inevitable. So, you need to go with a lot of water to keep you hydrated.
- First-aid box: there is a tendency that you will not need this, but it is advisable that you go along with it. You can not be too sure of what is to come. You should be prepared.
- Go with a friend: it has more fun embedded in it when you go hiking with a friend especially when this friend is a professional or one who knows the trails of the area.
What temperature is too cold for hiking
Winter hiking for beginners might be a very interesting exercise but even experienced hikers need to be very careful. There are hazards that might be attached to winter hiking that even experienced hikers need to be extremely cautious of.
In order not to endanger yourself as a beginner, you would need to make a weather forecast before going for your pleasure walk, to be sure of what you are going out to face.
Hypothermia and frostbite are some of the adverse effects of winter and this could be detrimental to one’s health. To avoid extreme case of hypothermia, it is advisable to avoid hiking in temperature lower than 5°C. Any temperature lower than this could be detrimental to your health as a beginner.
So before you go out hiking during winter, be sure the temperature is not too low.
Things to wear hiking in winter
One evident thing about winter is the fact it is extremely cold and you would need a lot of kits to wear while you go out hiking, to keep yourself warm.
To avoid hypothermia and frostbite you would need to keep yourself warm with kits built for winter. Here is a list of things you would need for the exercise.
Things not to wear for winter hiking
- Avoid tight clothes: for no reason should you wear clothes that are tight, it might make it difficult for blood to circulate properly.
- Avoid cotton material: cotton might be a good wear for winter to keep you warm but it is bad for hiking. Cotton does not resist water, in this case, if there is rainfall you would get wet and it would take a long time for it to get dry and it would make you feel cold.
Things to wear for winter hiking for beginners
- Gloves: frostbite affects your hands more. Wear thick gloves to keep your hands warm throughout the walk.
- Socks: your feet need more attention, this is due to the fact that it would be having direct contact with snow. It is advisable to use thick wool socks.
- Hat: it is possible to get cold while your head is exposed, you would need to wear hat to keep your head from losing heat to the surrounding.
- Goggles/sunglasses: you can not be too sure of what to meet , there might be wind during your walk. So, you need to protect your eyes from the adverse effect of the wind and rays of sunlight.
- Long sleeve shirt and trousers: cold can be life threatening in case of hypothermia so you should protect yourself by covering every part of your body to avoid heat loss.
- Cardigan: long sleeve shirt alone can not do the work you need to cover your body with thick cardigan. This helps to reduce the rate of heat loss.
- Face mask: you might need a mask to cover your nose against wind. One of the hotspot for frostbite is your nose. The mask help to protect you.
- Rain jacket: rain jackets are specially made to resist water. This help to keep you from getting wet in case there is rainfall.
How to keep yourself warm during winter hiking for beginners
You need to survive to be able to keep going. The major life threatening factor in winter hiking is the cold. To stay alive you have to keep yourself warm.
The first thing to do is to eat a lot of food and drink. This help to keep you warm from inside and more so, it would give you strength to cover more distance
- Wear layers of cloth: it is recommended to go winter hiking with layers of cloth. It helps to prevent the rate of heat loss.
- Get extra food and drink: asides the fact that the walk will draw energy from you, the snow will as well so energy from you . You should prepare for a refill.
- Make fire: when you notice symptoms of mild frostbite, it is advisable to make fire to keep your hands warm.
Conclusion: Winter hiking for beginners
Just like every other recreational activities, winter hiking gives you wonderful memories and it is a fascinating exercise. Effect of hypothermia and frostbite should not keep you from going on this wonderful adventure. Follow all the instructions to enjoy stress-less winter hiking for beginners
- How to put up a canopy tent
- best sun shirts for fishing 2021
- Tent camping in 30 degree weather
- best down hunting jacket 2021