If you love to go fishing, but you are not a fisherman nor a fisheries student. Then, a saltwater fishing setup for beginners will put you on the right track, especially if you want to go on marine fishing.
You could still enjoy that activity you have always wanted to engage in. Fishing is just as interesting as hunting, well it is a form of hunting, just that in this case you are hunting aquatic animals.
If you are enthusiastic about fishing and would love to have a wonderful fishing experience, then this article is the best for you. Saltwater fishing is not an activity you just venture into without an idea of things you would need. The outcome would be futile.
Starter pack for saltwater fishing setup for beginners
Boat: you need a boat to transport yourself on water. Except you can walk on water.
Live jacket: well, this is one of the safety precautions for water transport.
Fishing rod(angle)and reel: this is essential equipment. If angling is your preferred method of fishing then you would need your rod and reel. The reel helps to retract the line after every catch.
Fishing line: this is the string or rope, depending on what it is made of. Hook, sinker and bobber are usually attached to the line.
Hook: the hook holds the bait and it is the equipment used to capture the fish.
Bait and lure: baits are usually aquatic organisms used to trick or lure the fish towards the hook. Lure is an artificial bait, design to do the work of a bait.
Fish weight: or sinker is attached to the line to make the rig go deep easily into the ocean. It also prevents the line from drifting.
Bobber: this is a floating material attached to the line. It helps to easily know when there is a catch.
Pliers and knife: I am sure your plan to go fishing is not to get a fish, then go back home. So if you want to fish more than one fish, then you would need to have a plier or knife with you. It helps to easily detach your catch from the hook.
How do you rig for saltwater fishing?
It is really good to have all the equipment needed for fishing, but all the equipments are as good as useless when you do not know how to use it. Rig has to do with the assembling of the things needed for angling, usually comprises the rod, line, weight, swivel, bobber and so on.
Rigging is very simple if you have the necessary information. There are several ways to rig depending on the fishing method, but they have several things in common. This article should give you an idea, irrespective of the method.
- For a beginner, the best type of rigging is the bobber rig. Get your line ready, tie a hook on the end of your line with one of your fishing knot. (There are several types of knot, but the simplest and best is the clinch knot). Insert line through the eye of the hook, then wrap around the line 4-5 times, put tag end through the loop just above the eye of the hook. Hold the tag end and pull on the standing line and finally pull the knot tight.
- Attach small sinkers(weight) to the line, 6-12 inches from the hook to add a bit of weight to the line so that it would sink quickly and avoid drifting which might be caused by water current.
- Attached a bobber(float) to the rig at least 3-4 feet above the hook. The bobber helps you to know when the fish is bitting and have had a catch.
What is the best bait for saltwater fishing?
Irrespective of the fishing method, live bait is always recommended. There are different baits for different method and type of fish. The commonest for saltwater fishing are shrimps, mullet and squid.
Taking a live bait only, to the ocean to fish is usually not advised. You should go with lures as well. Lures are artificial baits that are designed to look like real baits and they tend to attract more fish.
Best time to fish
Although this might vary with fishes there are a certain period of the day that is best for fishing. In order to avoid going on a futile fishing trip, you would need to take note of this;
When not to fish
- Do not fish when it is raining: it would be good to make a weather forecast before you go fishing. Fishing in the rain might be a futile adventure.
- Do not fish in the afternoon: fishes tend to go deep and as a beginner, I would advise that you should not fish in the afternoon.
When to fish
- Morning and evening: the best time to go fishing is ver early in the morning and late in the evening. This is a period when they come to the feed.
- Tidal shift: there is a high tendency of having a catch after a tidal shift.
- After rainfall: this is also another period best for fishing for beginners. There is usually abundance of fish to fish.
Best hook size
Depending on the fishing method, there are different hooks recommended for different methods based on the fact that you are a beginner, it would be advisable that you go for small fish. A perfect size for small fish hook is size 5/0 and for more efficiency use a long shank hook.
What kind of fishing rod do I need for salt water
Size of fishing rods ranges from four feet to fourteen feet. All sizes are specially made for specific purpose and level of users. For a beginner, you would need a strong rod and a rod that can cast far but not too far so that you would be able to retract easily. The longer the length of the rod the farther it would cast. An ideal fishing rod for a beginner you fall between 6 and 7 feet.
So, if you want to go fishing for the first time, it is best that you go with a fishing rod that is about 7 feet long.
Conclusion: Saltwater fishing setup for beginners
You would be seen as a lawbreaker if you go out fishing without a fishing license. If you go fishing without a rod, then it could be taken as a mere excursion.
This is just to say before you go fishing, be sure you have and take along with you everything you would need for fishing. Also doing the right thing at the wrong time can be wrong, so if you really want to enjoy your angling, go fish at the recommended time.