Going on a fishing trip is a refreshingly thrilling experience you would not want to miss. It is always filled with fun especially when you go saltwater fishing. Saltwater offers a lot of wonderful species of fish, usually for sport and that is the real fun of it. It is always advisable to communicate with your guide before going on the trip. To get some information like the time for take-off, which is usually around 4-5 am. I have compiled some bucket list fishing trips things you should know before you go to the deep waters.
What I should have on my bucket list fishing trips?
It would be unwise to go on a fishing trip without the necessary gears for your trip. It might mess up the fun embedded in angling. You can not afford to go back home to pick things you would need for fishing every time you need it. Here is a checklist of the things you would be needing for your trip.
- Fishing license: this is topping the list of things you would need for your trip because it is actually the most important. The fishing license gives you the authority to go fish. You might get fined heavily if caught fishing without a license.
- Fishing rod: this is a rod you attach your line to. It helps to cast your fishing line further and deeper into the water. Deepwater fish are usually big game, you would need a very strong rod, stronger than you would use normally for freshwater angling.
- Tackle box: this is the box where you get to keep all the small accessories such as;
- Baits and lures: this helps to attract the fish towards the hook. The lures are artificial baits made to look like real baits.
- Fishing line: the line helps to retrieve the fish, once there is a catch.
- Hooks: This is a sharp curved piece of equipment, used to catch the fish. Baits are usually attached to the hook.
- Sinker or weight: this prevents the line from drifting away.
- Bobber or float: this helps to quickly notice when fish is biting.
- Swivel: this prevents the line from tangling
Plier: for removing the hook from the fish’s mouth.
- Binoculars: this helps to see far distances beyond the one your eyes can easily see.
- First aid kit: not only do will you be needing a first aid kit, but you would also need basic knowledge on how to stop bleeding and use the kit, in case of accidents.
- Clothing: you should consider going on your trip with clothing that suits the weather best. It is advisable to wear pants and socks, gloves among others.
- Medication: for individuals who get queasy from traveling or who get sea sick, you should go with drugs that would help you control it.
- Hat and sunglasses: for protection against the sun.
- Live jacket: the captain of the boat should provide this. It is a safety precaution.
Where is the best place to deep sea fish?
Deep-sea fishing is a kind of fishing where angler(s) is required to go on a trip to the deep waters of the ocean. Usually, this kind of fishing exposes the anglers to a wide variety of marine sport fish.
Here are some of the best places to go deep-sea fishing in the world;
- Cape Town, South Africa: Cape Town is known for big games such as yellowfin tuna, marlin, and geelbek.
- Madeira, Portugal: when you talk about blue Marlin, then Madeira is your best bet. You can get a variety of sport fish in this place like, big eye tuna, wahoo, sailfish.
- Mozambique: Mozambique is known as one of the best destinations in the world for black Marlin fish. Although you can get any species you want depending on the time of the year.
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: this is known for its abundance of blue Marlin fish and bill fish. It is considered the home to the highest-paying Marlin tournament in the world. You can fish other sport fish in here.
- Florida: one thing that makes this location one of the best is the fact that you can get access to various types of fish you want in less travel time.
How long is a full-day fishing trip?
This depends on your destination, the species you want, and your budget. Although you can fish anywhere, nearshore, offshore. There are some species of fish you can only get when you go deep-sea fish. You would need to travel a long distance into the deep waters. A full-day fishing trip gives the opportunity to choose from a wide range of fish species. Generally, a full day should take about 8 hours.
How much are guided fishing trips?
To make your fishing trip worthwhile you would need to take a fishing charter. This guy knows a lot about fishing, the best time to go fishing, the coordinates to find the species of fish you want, and many more. The rates of charters vary. The rate is usually determined by destination, the number of hours want to spend fishing ( half-day, full-day), and the species of fish. So, if you want to go on a fishing trip and would love be taking a charter, which you would definitely need to. You should budget about $350- $1500.
What is the best time to go deep-sea fishing?
You can fish at any time of the day, month, or year but going to fish at any time of the day might not yield the desired result. There are several fish, you can not fish at any time of the day. Tide is a major determining factor for the success of deep-sea fishing. It is good to go fishing during the incoming tide. It is also advisable to fish very early in the morning(dawn) or late in the evening(dusk)
Conclusion: Bucket list fishing trips
Fishing is an exhilarating adventure you would be glad to experience. It is always advisable to go on a guided trip. You gain more experience while at it. It fills your adventure with more fun. Let it be known that your license is just as important as the trip, as well as your gears.
Deep-sea fishing might be expensive but it is a fascinating recreational exercise that is worth every penny you spend.